Clinical Lab Asst PRN
- Verifies patient and specimen identification before performing any procedure.
- Assists with receiving, identifying, accessioning, processing and transporting specimens.
- Centrifuge and store blood samples for subsequent testing.
- Prepares smears as required for appropriate staining.
- Reference specimens to reference laboratories using the appropriate protocols.
- Prepare and submit specimens according to Reference Laboratory guidelines
- Enter test orders manually for non-interfaced tests.
- Verifies samples collected by non-lab personnel are properly collected, labeled, and matched with the appropriate request or barcode labels for appropriate testing.
- Completes and documents scheduled and unscheduled computer maintenance to include changing ribbons and labels, resetting terminals, downing terminals, logging in and out of system and cleaning workstations.
- Performs waived and selected moderate tests and documents quality control according to Laboratory Protocols.
- Enters results according to Computer System Protocols.
- Set up, troubleshoot, maintain, and operate standard laboratory equipment, i.e., pipettes, centrifuge, stainers and instrumentation
- Set up and incubate cultures and gram stain positive blood cultures.
- Maintains adequate stock of supplies.
- Maintains work area in a safe, aseptic and organized manner.
- Performs clerical duties including answering phones, data entry, and filing.
- Communicates test results to appropriate healthcare providers.
- Receives requests, both written and verbal, from physicians for laboratory tests. When verbal request, follow the protocol for obtaining the written documentation for the verbal request.
- Investigates and verifies unusual orders with the units, physicians, and/or Reference Lab.
- Query, print, fax, mail, call, and/or chart any reports to the appropriate person/unit/office that requires manual reporting.
- Enters patient demographics and orders into LCS.
- Participates in the Quality Assessment process as defined by the Hospital and the Laboratory.
- High school diploma or equivalent required and a phlebotomy course or prior phlebotomy training; phlebotomy certification preferred.
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Completes On the Job (OTJ) training for CLA duties.
Typical Physical Demands: Typical Physical Demands: May require extended periods of standing or sitting. Some bending, stooping, or stretching is required. May require lifting and carrying 5-25 pounds. Requires full range of motion including eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires corrected vision and hearing within normal ranges. Requires ability to communicate and interact with others in person and on the phone. Also requires high degree of mental alertness and the ability to handle a high degree of stress and/or irregular work hours.
Minimum Work Experience:
- One year experience as a Phlebotomist preferred.
Equal opportunity and affirmative action employers and are looking for diversity in candidates for employment: Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran
Explore This Location
Explore This LocationLearn More
You have no recently viewed jobs
You have no saved jobs